Sunday, April 29, 2012

Help, My Eyes are Burning!

What a day...my eyes are literally burning as I struggle to edit my book, and it's only the FIRST draft.  I've realized it's going to take much longer to go through this in order to make it tighter and presentable, etc.  I think the actual writing of the book is the easiest part in all this...it's what comes after that is labor intensive and time consuming!  

Several books I've read have given excellent advice and tips on how to make it the best it can be, and while it's been tremendously insightful & helpful, it's also lengthening the process.  I guess in the end, if it helps me get published, it will all be worth it.

4 comments:

  1. It's all part of the process, Dawn, so keep going! You'll look back on this later and realize how much you've learned. Nothing is wasted, and the next book will be that much easier to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the initial writing is the easiest part. One day, I'll have a team of editors who can't wait to get their hands on my rough draft and I won't have to deal with that part of the process any more. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linnea - you and I have the same thoughts! lol We both seem to be in the right frame of mind...confidence that we WILL succeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend/critique partner submitted before she polished her mss. and now her book had an almost totally different first three chapters. She should have waited until it was polished, and now she's depressed. Our other critique partner and I told her to resubmit with a note that it's revised. She wishes, though, that she had just polished first. If you ever have a chance, go hear Margie Lawson's workshops on dialogue and editing.

    ReplyDelete